Management of crop resistances to diseases in agricultural landscapes as a response to new constraints on pesticide use
Context and Issues
A major stake for agriculture is to significantly reduce pesticide applications while maintaining productivity. This will require significant technical but also organisational changes. In this context, the present project is proposed by a pool of research teams representing a large and complementary set of disciplines: epidemiology, agronomy, social sciences and mathematical sciences.
Our central objective is to produce scenarios to allocate resistant varieties at the scale of a cultivated landscape. Such scenarios will allow limiting the development of diseases while ensuring the durability of the efficiency of the genetic resistances. The scenarios will be evaluated from the point of view of their organizational feasibility as well as their technical performances. The social representations of the disease by the actors will be considered in order to assess the scenarios’ acceptability.
The GESTER project is based on the joint study of two main crop species: wheat and oil seed rape. It is structured as follows:
- acquisition of knowledge on the strategies of the actors and development of multicriteria decision models
- acquisition of knowledge on the diseases and development of spatially explicit epidemiological models
- use of the models and acquired knowledge to produce "candidate" scenarios
- joint evaluation of these "candidate" scenarios by all partners to produce scenarios that are acceptable by the actors and efficient with regards to both biological and operational criteria
- a transversal task will be specifically dedicated to the methodological questions raised by modelling of epidemics on explicit landscapes
The diffusion of the results will be made in particular through the communication supports of the partner Technical Institutes (extension services).
ARVALIS Institut du Végétal
CETIOM Centre technique des oléagineux et du chanvre
INRA Bioger Biologie et Gestion des Risques en Agriculture UMR 1290
INRA IGEPP Institut de Génétique, Environnement et Protection des Plantes UMR 1349
INRA Agronomie Laboratoire Agronomie UMR 211
University Nancy II Laboratoire Lorrain de Sciences Sociales
INRA SADAPT Sciences pour l'Action et le Développement : Activités, Produits, Territoires UMR 1048
INRA MIAJ Unité de recherche Mathématiques et Informatique Appliquées UR 341
INRA Eco-Innov Unité Impacts Ecologiques des Innovations en Production Végétale
Funding and Support
ANR (Agence Nationale de la Recherche)